There are occasions when I feel a bit (as Scarf Lady would say) ‘knit stuck’. In case you do not know who Scarf Lady is, this is she. My future (or maybe present) self. I just need that top knot. Because I do not have […]
I am pleased to be able to release my latest pattern, Morganite, a design that has been a long and meticulous time in the making. Named for a complex but robust gemstone, Morganite is the perfect hat project for combining a number of simple knitting […]
I’ve been knitting away at the test knitalong for my latest design and have happily drawn together the last few crown stitches, woven in the ends and added a pompom for my own project. A wonderful and lovely team are currently in the process of doing the same before all the facts and data can be put together with suggestions to hopefully bring the pattern together ready for publishing.
At the moment I am quite focussed on gauge differences and the elements that affect row gauge, as the test knit is bringing about some variation between knitters.
There are so many factors at play when determining gauge that when a design or project contains a lot elements that can affect gauge, it can be difficult to narrow down what is causing the difference, and though there is a definite starting point in tackling variations in stitch gauge, it isn’t always so easy to remedy differences in row gauge as first you need to get into your best Lt. Columbo mode and work through each of the variables. (Just one more thing…)
Once I get the stats back from the rest of the test-knit team I will start working on working through which elements need to be further worked on to tighten the pattern up to eliminate as many deviations from the finished product as possible, reconfirming important instructions and pattern notes and providing more explicit instruction where required. I’m always a bit nervous and anxious when working through a test knit as I want to provide the best possible experience for the test knitters in a test environment which, by it’s very design, is there to dig up and expose potential problems. I am, as always, very grateful to all of the expertise that the wonderful knitting community provides in all forms, and with a couple of super-warm and squishy hats as we move into the colder months I am looking forwards to getting the first new design in a long while out into the wild.
Another project from A Year Of Techniques has freed itself from its needle-y bonds and plopped itself down into a bubbly bath. A relaxing end to an emotional knit that, at one point, I did not think would ever get finished. I am relieved to […]
My knitting motivation has been a bit thin on the ground these past two weeks. Some warmer-than-usual June weather in the UK turned my greenhouse of a living room into a suburban sauna and brought my hat progress to a crashing halt. Though Talmadge is […]
June’s pattern knitalong for A Year Of Techniques is Romi Hill’s Talmadge Cloche, which introduces the element of knitted on edgings as this month’s technique. A knitted on edging is a fantastic way of providing a decorative and/or functional edging to a piece of knitting by working the edging at 90° and joining it on to a row of live or picked-up stitches. Though I know I have worked knitted-on edges (and used an almost identical technique for pieces of modular knitting) before I can’t find any pictures of past projects that clearly show the work, so it will be a good chance to re-appreciate the work that a fantastic edging can do.
The Talmadge cloche is worked from the top down, beginning with last month’s technique, the pinhole (or circular) cast on, knitting’s version of crochet’s magic-circle. Of course, starting with the crown of the hat means that you are straight into the increases as soon as the first few stitches are cast on, so the number of stitches rapidly increases before you reach the body of the hat, and that is the point of the knitting that I am at now, with all increases complete and the remaining rounds all to be worked with a constant number of stitches. Let’s have a look at what that looks like:
Is that a hat or is it an eyepatch for a very fancy pirate? Now, I should add that I do not have small and dainty hands, so my giant paw perhaps accounts for a bit of the apparent sizing peculiarity, but to match my clobbering paws I also have a head the size of a St Bernard’s, so this little pentagon of stitches represents some nervousness of the usability of my current hat. However, my anxiety is appeased somewhat by the wisdom and experience of Jen, who, with the benefit of experience having now knit the hat, has assured knitters that though, yes, it looks laughably small at this juncture (and will do right up until the last moment), it will all work out right in the end and fit the average head quite comfortably. Whether it fits my head is yet to be seen, but at least I can console myself with the miniature barrel of brandy around my neck if it does not.