I have had thoughts of Christmas in my head lately. It’s as much to do with a necessity of planning as anything else, as presents have been needed to be bought on a bit of a tight schedule and delivered to people way ahead of […]
A colleague at work asked last week if I would possibly consider knitting a flower for a hat of hers. All of her favourite walking hats featured flowers, but she had one particularly warm hat without a floral decoration on and wondered if I’d mind knitting one to adorn it.
The hat was blue with a little white detailing on the edge, so we decided on a white flower with a yellow centre to coordinate. I had a few flowers to choose between from the book ‘100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet‘ by Lesley Stanfield, but the one that looked prettiest to me was the anemone. This flower turned out slightly differently to the one in the book as I knit the petals in a single colour, and I think that it ended up looking like a wild rose (or dog rose).
I finished this quick 60 minute knit by sewing a brooch back onto a 3cm circle of white felt and sewing this onto the back of the flower. I could have blocked the petals of the flower to make them lay flat, but I thought that the slight cusp on the petal edge made the finished item look more organic and gave it an extra dimension of detail by creating a natural shadow between the petals which highlighted the way that they overlapped.
My colleague appeared to like the finished flower when I handed it to her this morning, so hopefully it will adorn her warm hat on a few winter walks now that winter has started to settle in.
Yarn: Un-dyed white 4-ply sock yarn (75% wool, 25% nylon)
Yesterday I posted about how to use a fork to make pom-poms to decorate your knitting and craft projects. The next instalment in my cutlery embellishment series brings you Fork Bows. Using a simple four-pronged dining fork you can tie easy miniature bows which look perfect […]
I believe the best way of making small pompoms is using a fork. There are many ways of making nice, full and round looking pompoms (pompons, pom-poms or pom-pons as they are variously written) but the quickest and most wonderful way I know of creating […]
I couldn’t find a pair of buttons that I liked enough to provide a contrast to my hat, yet still compliment the design, nor blend in colour with the yarn to a degree that I found pleasing to the eye. Everything was too brash, under-saturated, or too cool a yellow to look nice. Some dark bronze buttons I managed to find were perfect, but just too big. Not even a high-board dive into my nan’s button stash (amassed over 60+ years of diligent button hoarding) turned up the perfect fasteners.
So, with this, we turn to the old adage; “if you want something done properly, do it yourself”. Actually, lets re-write that slightly, to; “if you are going to be so darn picky, do it yourself”. And I did.
I had a tiny nub of leftover polymer clay that I have lovingly conserved in and old shoebox full of junk, that I thought was just about perfect in colour to match the yarn I used for my latest hat. It wasn’t. It was too bright, too cool in tone, too lemon. I had to improvise a little as I had no other polymer clay to mix it with, but managed to make do with some ground-down artist’s pastels. I made a few different kinds of buttons to use the tiny bit of polymer clay up, but once they had baked hard I chose these simple elongated trapezoid shaped buttons as I liked the scale of them on the button band, and finally I was satisfied.
I now have closure on my closures.