Just after Mr Awesome and I got married we decided to redecorate our guest bedroom. It functioned perfectly well as a guest bedroom, but we wanted something far more light and airy, and we wanted to actually make use of the room the other 358 […]
After my recent minor successes with the sewing machine after having made a few bags I have branched out into new territory and have decided to have a go at making slippers. I have actually treated myself to a few patterns for making fabric slippers, but decided to start with what looked the easiest and make a pair of Kimono style slip-ons.
If you discount the layers that form the outer and lining pieces of this pattern, it is essentially formed of just two pieces – the outer/upper and the sole, though for some reason (perhaps for the purposes of being able to use a smaller piece of fabric) the upper is created from two pieces with a seam up the back of the heel. If you wanted, you could easily cut this piece from a longer single piece of fabric.
Unlike the other slipper/footwear patterns that I have purchased, the lining of the sole for these kimono slippers is not joined into the main shell of the shoe, but instead inserted once the show is complete. I decided to use some more of the trusty Ikea fleece blanket to line the shoe upper and ask form the sole lining, and to add comfort I sandwiched two pieces together and sewed a few diagonal parallel lines to give a nice cushioned feel – I guess it is a bit like quilting (one of the dark arts which I have not yet tried).
I am not all too worried about any fine finishing on this pair as they were made of scrap fabric as a prototype, to make sure that I could get the sizing right (as it happens they are a smidgen too loose, so I will take this into account what I make any future pairs), but apart from this I am pretty impressed with how they turned out and they are extremely comfortable.
I may add an elastic strap to help these stay on my feet for the time being, turning them into kimono slippers with a little Mary Jane styling, which will perfectly match the handbag that the majority of this fabric was originally used for, because who doesn’t want to coordinate their slippers to their handbag?
If you would like to make your own pair of kimono slippers the pattern is available for $6 from iThinkSew. It’s in PDF format so you’ll need to print and assemble the pieces, but as there are so few of them this shouldn’t be a problem, and the pattern contains pieces for 6 different sizes as well as a full tutorial on how to put the pieces together. The pattern is so quick and easy that they’d also make perfect quick and inexpensive gifts, invaluable qualities at this time of year.
I thought that as I have been getting better acquainted with my sewing machine recently, and as I have plenty of fabric left over from the fleece blanket that I made the giant soft toy pig from, I would put together a sewing pattern and […]
Mr Awesome’s jumper has moved past the rows and rows of ribbing and onto something somewhat more satisfying as I have reached the main body of the knit. The pattern is written to be knit back and forth with the front and back sections of the sweater knit separately, but life is too short for needless purling, so I have decided to knit the sweater in the round.
The pattern is also and old style line by line written pattern with no chart, so I spent a few minutes in front of Adobe Illustrator drawing up a chart for the cable sections so that I can read the patterning at a glance – far better for TV knitting as I don’t have to scan along the lines of the pattern.
The knitting has sped up somewhat now, with stretches of stockinette that break for the cable panels, adding just enough interest to the knitting process to stop it from being boring.
I also have another project in progress, for which my working material is one coral coloured Polarvide blanket/throw from Ikea, which I purchased for the grand sum of £3. I know that I have said it before on this blog, but I really do think that these throws are the best source for cheap fleece fabric. I can’t think of anywhere else it might be possible to buy a 170x130cm (67×39″) length of fleece fabric.
Anyway, I picked up a couple of these fleece blankets in different shades to have a play with and have started a new project with one of them. It’s only in the first stages of being formed, but I’m already hopeful that it will turn out quite charming.
I’d be quite surprised if anyone could guess what this is at this stage, and I’m not entirely sure it looks as I expected quite yet, but we’ll see…