The Little Ear Revealed: Testing The Cute
In case anyone were to have been wondering what the cute little ear were to have belonged to, I have decided, upon the receipt of some feedback, to post for the appeal of test knitters elsewhere. Unfortunately I am unable to use the very popular Free Pattern Testers group due to the impending new arrival of Baby Awesome as their rules would forbid this, so have taken advice from readers on board and started a thread on the Eskimimi Makes Ravelry group.
This pattern uses a variation of a loop stitch to create small chained loops. I have adapted the stitch further to create a fabric which I find closer and more sturdy than regular loop stitch in aid to make the finished item more resilient to wear and not so susceptible to being caught around little fingers. Video instruction for both the loop stitch and applied iCord edging are given in the pattern file.
Please note that I am 39 weeks pregnant, so dependant on what happens in the next few weeks, there may be a short period of days when I am in the hospital, so please bear this in mind that there may be a few days at some point that I am not able to respond as quickly as usual, but will always aim to respond to queries as soon as possible.
I will also pop over a coupon code for a free download of the knitter’s choice once the test knit is complete.
Sizes given are:
Small Baby, Newborn – 3 months, 4 – 6 months, 7 – 11 months, 1 – 2 years, 2 years
With head circumference: 37cm (14.5”), 38cm (15”), 39.5cm (15.5”), 40.5cm (16”), 43cm (17”), 46cm (18”)
Gauge is: 24sts and 32 rows per 10cm (4”) in stockingette st.
Approximate Hours to Complete:
25th September (subject to impending birth of Baby Awesome)
- 3.5mm needles for knitting flat and for knitting small diameters in the round.
- Knitters needle/large tapestry needle for finishing and weaving in ends.
- Stitch markers.
DK weight smooth yarn that knits to the same tension as Debbie Bliss Rialto DK, in two shades for the main hat and the mane. Sample size (newborn) used 26g of Debbie bliss Rialto DK in Gold and 21g of Debbie Bliss Rialto DK in Rust. I do not foresee any of the sizes using more than a skein of either yarn or their yardage equivalents.
- M1L = Make one (left leaning)
- M1R = Make one (right leaning)
- 8 (10, 12) Ch Loop st (full detailed instructions given in both written and video format)
- 4 st iCord
- Apply On-The-Fly iCord (full detailed instructions given in both written and video format)
PDF to be emailed. Links are contained to video tutorials on special stitches if needed.
- Pattern corrections and advice on where any clarification might be needed.
- Ease of pattern use
- Yarn usage for size tested
- Project page creation once pattern is live would be appreciated.
- Clear photo of finished knit (modelled would be perfect, but as we don’t all have handy babies laying around this is not essential!)
- I will create a pattern page once the pattern is live for anyone to link their project to.
If you would like to test knit the pattern, please pop over to the Eskimimi Makes Group & Forums on Ravelry and post in the thread there.