Unravelling, Current WIPS And New Needles
My wedding shawl took a few steps backwards yesterday.
I had a really, really difficult day at work that saw a few bouts of tears. I know that it is often the case that people feel undervalued in their jobs, but yesterday it was amplified by someone I was trying to help as a normal part of my day to day job lodging a complaint that someone (and that someone would be me) had offered them assistance. It’s a direct part of what I am employed to do, and though I have long felt taken for granted, this instance just knocked me sideways.
I returned home in spurts of tears at the end of the day and couldn’t settle when I tried to relax in the evening. I sat and regarded my knitting – a joyous project for what will be the most special moment that I will live through – and things just weren’t right. I’d been feeling generally dissatisfied just after the events of the day and something about my shawl was bugging me.
The small round motifs that border the shawl have a purl patterned centre to them, bordered by yarn overs, surrounded by knit stitches. Because of the way the shawl is designed, most of the yarn overs in this section transition from a knit to a purl stitch, or vice versa. Making yarn overs in this way cause the yarn to travel further around the needle than if the yarn over was between two knit (or purl) stitches, essentially resulting in larger yarn overs and a more lacy and open texture.
But when I looked at the shawl it just looked sloppy. I’m sure that this would have disappeared with eventual blocking, but yesterday I just wasn’t in the mood to find out. I wasn’t going to lose anything by knitting the centre of the motifs rather than purling them – the difference in texture was indiscernible in the fine lace yarn, and what’s more the wrong side rows would have been far easier to complete s they would have been all in plain purl stitches.
So, I ripped out 24 rows of lace and beading, past the point of the last row of beaded eyelets. Luckily I managed to unravel the knitting cleanly and not drop any stitches, though I could have saved myself a small headache if I’d had the foresight to use a lifeline.
Now I have begun re-knitting the more complex lace motifs using knit stitches in the centres of the motifs and the rhythm of the knitting feels far more enjoyable.
As well as working on the shawl I have been able to finally pick up a project that I started many months ago – the ribbed and brimmed hat that I decided to knit for Mr Awesome.
And I was able to do that because I finally got around to buying some DPNs to close the top of the hat. They are not posh or fancy DPNs – in fact I bought 15 sets for £5.20 with shipping included from eBay, but these bamboo needles are a simple and handy tool for the rare occasions when I want a larger sized DPN for something other than socks.
Today I am not feeling much more settled than I was yesterday, but I can take greater comfort in my knitting now that my projects are working as well as I hoped that they would, making my knitting (and so my evenings) more enjoyable.